This recipe is an all time favourite of mine! I've made it countless times and so far everyone has loved it!
You can tweak it to your liking, for example try vegan eggs instead, etc. Try adding more sugar if you aren't into really dark chocolate.
The most recent time I made this, my flat mate and I didn't want to wait an hour for the cake to bake. So, we made cupcakes instead. They were perfection! Instead of 60 min, each tray took exactly 15 min. Make sure to use cupcake liners in the cupcake form otherwise it will not work!
I serve this topped with a reduced raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream!
- 12 ounces baking dark chocolate 70%, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs (also works with vegan eggs)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk (I use oat milk)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray, too, then set the pan aside.
- Place two-thirds (8 ounces) of the chocolate and 1 cup (2 sticks) of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Stirring often, melt chocolate with butter until completely blended. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. (Alternatively, you may use your microwave to melt the butter with the chocolate, if desired). Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa into bowl and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake has risen and top has formed a thin crust. The cake should be just firm in the center when done. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate, removing sides of springform pan. Remove and discard parchment paper and set cake aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze. Melt remaining 4 ounces chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in milk, honey and vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When cake has cooled, pour glaze onto the center. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, very gently smooth glaze along the top and sides of the cake. Chill cake, uncovered, for 30 to 60 minutes before serving to set the glaze and make the cake easier to slice.